Tuesday, September 02, 2008

And so it begins...

This morning when I woke up I could tell something was different.  Maybe part of what clued me in was the fact that I got up at 11 pm, midnight, 1 am, and 2 am exactly last night.  I'm pretty sure there was at least one more trip to the bathroom, but it wasn't on the hour and consecutive to these other hours so it doesn't stand out.  

Anyway, I went to the doctor again today and she confirmed that things are progressing!  I am now dilated (only 1 cm) and the baby has definitely dropped.  This was my old doctor who tore her ACL - she is back and will be here for the duration.  She was surprised that I didn't look any different and looked back at my chart and discovered I have only gained 10 pounds.  She didn't seem concerned about this and suspects the baby only weighs around 6 pounds or so, which also might be why it has taken until now for any type progress on the labor and delivery front - meaning my body and the baby are working to give the baby a little more time to grow.  At the same time, my stomach muscles are extremely tight and not giving the baby a lot of room.  Anyway, I have another appointment on Sept 9th and if I haven't progressed any further we will induce on Sept 16th.  She doesn't think we will have to induce - keep your fingers crossed because my goal is to do this with no epidural and I believe that will be hard if I am induced. Now I just to get through this week at work as I the ball is rolling to expand into the space next door and I have another Silliker VP, an architect and a general contractor coming on Friday to help with that process.  If I can get through Friday and maybe the weekend and then go into labor Monday that would nice. 

In the meantime, I am supposed to keep up activities like this:


Yesterday in desperation to get this baby born (and to give Will time to work on the bathroom floor) I cut the grass.  Maybe that did the trick.  Not a very pretty picture.  

On Saturday we went for a 3 mile walk, complete with Dairy Queen and I continue to walk the dog in the morning.  I thought I might be having some contractions on the walk to and from DQ, but who knows.  Either my uterus was tightening up or the baby figured out a way to move in all directions at once.  Either way it was not painful.  My doctor wants me to keep that stuff up too as it will really help the delivery.  She says to stay home as long as reasonably possible when labor really starts -  walking on the parkway and whatnot, since we live so close to the hospital and because they won't let me outside to walk once we get to the hospital.  

Other things we did this weekend: Will got the fish tank upstairs in the baby's room.  We went round and round about the location, but I gave in.  It was always going to be right next to the crib, but exactly where was the subject of the debate.  I'm not posting a picture now because it only has water in it, but Will got the fish on Friday and I must say, they are fun and colorful.  He also set up a way to pump the water and air from the basement all the way upstairs so that the baby doesn't have to listen to the pumps, but instead just hears the bubbles.  He is a genius.

The bathroom floor is really not very far along.  Will has the border design laid out, but we forgot to purchase adhesive for the tile - oops.  So he went and did that this weekend.   Watching the Iowa game and getting the baby's room ready is more interesting than doing the floor, though I have to admit some frustrations there too.  For instance, we have a perfect spot for one of the Betsy Bowen prints we have and when I hung it on the hook the previous owners had installed, the picture was too high.  Why can't anything be easy?  It seems that each little thing we do leads to another project.  

We did get the car seat base in my car, got the car seat cover and the Baby Bjorn washed, got the bassinet in our bedroom and got the bag for the hospital packed.   I also made a whole bunch of vegetable soup base with some vegetables that were past their prime, so now I can make my favorites soups this winter.  We ate a delicious fish dinner with a Lake Trout Will had caught at the lake the last time we were there - the meal reminded me of the Angry Trout meals.  And I tried a new eggplant dish, which I liked ok, but not enough to make again.  Oh and Will made some of the best bread he has ever made.  So we were busy.  I will admit to taking one nap this weekend.  We also got HD Directv installed, but for some reason the receiver doesn't work and we can only get the HD channels.  Strange.  

So, there is the latest.  Will and I will be in touch as things change.  Hopefully we will get a few more things done here before the big day and will have some pictures to post of the baby's room, the fun fish and soon the baby. 

6 comments:

Goldenzinns said...

You know that because you have all these plans on Friday that Clocker may decide to appear that day. Good for us and okay for you but not ideal. So tell someone else at work all your ideas. I love your doctors advise on walking and staying home as long as possible. We'll be waiting anxiously for word from you two.

fredecker said...

Yes, you are probably right. Still no contractions though, so maybe...

Betsy said...

I bet those are contractions you're feeling. Often you don't even know when you're having them! You'll find that out if you go past your date and have to start doing non-stress tests. You look great and I'm so glad you're so active. Everything (including recovery) is going to be a breeze with you so fit. You look about like I looked at 4 months...'course, I'm the first to admit I let myself go a little bit on this last pregnancy.....

Sarah said...

Great news, Sam! Staying active definitely helps. I think you'll go at least until your due date, but that's just my prediction. And being induced isn't that bad- I did it the first time and still elected to do it the second time! Not much longer!!!

Sarah said...

Oh, and I love the lawn-mowing picture. Definitely one for Clocker Baby's baby book. Also, does Will know you called him a genius? If he doesn't know that yet, you might not want to let him see the post. He may never let you live that down.

zinncaulfield said...

OMG, I'm so excited for Clocker to arrive! I hope that you don't have to be induced and can experience it the way that you'd like to. Keep up the great work. I can't believe only 10 pounds! You look great and I agree, it will help with your recovery. Anxiously awaiting a call.........