Thursday, August 28, 2008

Jealousy

I have two reasons to be jealous today.  First I'm in the middle of a very busy day and my cell phone rings and it is my sister Becky calling from Colorado.  She is so excited, she can barely contain herself.  Her neighbor had just given her two tickets to the DNC at Mile High Stadium tonight.  Honestly, for a moment the thought crossed my mind that I could get out there to use her second ticket somehow.  Anyway, she is there now enjoying an amazing moment in history.  I'm sure she is having a blast.   I asked her to watch for a Obama onesie for the baby, but I've noticed they don't seem to make them for new borns - just 6 months and up.  

Then, Will sends me the following email titled Bike Statistics:

This morning was my 50th ride to work this calendar year.

That’s an average of 2.4 times per week since I started.

My average (kilo)calories burned per day is 768.3 and the total should be something like 38,415. 

I’ve put 709.3 miles on my bike, a little of that is riding other places (haircuts for example).

In 2006 I rode 35 times and 2007 only 15.

 

38,415 (kilo)calories is the equivalent of 11 pounds of fat.  Unfortunately I don’t think I’ve lost a full 11 pounds, apparently I’ve been eating more.

 

If you figure I average 40MPG driving in town (it’s probably less than that) then I’ve avoided using 17.7 gallons of diesel.

This would equal 393.7 pounds of CO2.

If I drove a gasoline powered car that got 30mpg it would’ve taken 23.6 gallons and 459 pounds of CO2 to go that same distance.

 

There are 38,415 (kilo)calories in 1.168 gallons of diesel fuel.  So if I could drink diesel fuel and use all the calories in it I’d need 1.168 gallons to ride back and forth to work 50 times.


I'm very proud of Will, and despite his thought that he hasn't lost 11 pounds of fat, he has gotten in better shape.  I have to keep reminding him that muscle weighs more than fat.  I have to admit, though, that I am jealous as I really love riding my bike to work and really miss it.  As we look into day care options it becomes more and more evident that riding to work next year might not be possible.  Hopefully we will be able to figure a way for each of us to get at least one day a week of riding to work each week next year.  Time will tell...


Oh and on a completely different note: the leaves are changing here.  This might seem early, but actually, I usually see my first maple changing in mid-August.  This week is the first week I've noticed any changes, but there are several trees changing and usually in mid-August it is one or two select trees.  Fall is coming - my favorite season! 


Gotta go, Barack is on.  


3 comments:

Sarah said...

I thought you might be a little jealous of Becky. Maybe your neighbor will give you free tickets to see Bush or McCain speak next week. I know, I know- you could only hope to be so lucky!

Anonymous said...

Sandy
I'm jealous too. However, I think Sarah is right....you should be able to get free tickets next week. You lucky dog!

zinncaulfield said...

The DNC was really so amazing. I'll send pictures soon. No onesies though, but some great t-shirts!