Friday, September 19, 2008

Two Weeks Old

Yesterday Anders turned 2 weeks old.  And to celebrate, he lost his umbilical cord scab some time between a 4 am diaper change and a 5:15 am diaper change.   It is very exciting and mysterious - where did the scab go?  I looked in the diaper and it wasn't there and it isn't in the bassinet, not that I was planning on keeping it.   He seems to have a half outie right now - perhaps to make up for my belly button not popping out.  


We've been hanging out this week trying to figure each other's schedule out.  I'm still bad at napping and now Anders is starting to be awake more, which is more fun.  He has spent a lot of time awake today, so I'm hoping for a better night's sleep tonight.  We will see.  I'm definitely sleep deprived.  I sometimes get kind of frustrated that I can successfully run a business, but feel pretty out of control these days.  This is a new thing for me.    My parents are still here helping out tons.  My dad is staining all the woodwork in the living room and dining room - this is all the woodwork I stripped at this time last year.  It looks really beautiful with the stain on it.   And my mom is cooking and cleaning and trying to keep me sane.   Will is making progress in the bathroom, but the toilet isn't in yet.  He is close though - today he started grouting the floor so the end is in sight.  


He also got to meet his Grandma Jean who is here for a few days helping out and visiting her newest grandson.   Somehow she got stuck cleaning our windows today, but she also got to babysit while I got my hair cut.  



And he got to try hanging out in a sling and doing some laundry with me.  At first he hated it, but then settled down and seemed to enjoy it.  Unfortunately, shortly after this picture was taken Anders dozed off and I had to leave to get my haircut.  Tomorrow we are going to the coffee shop for waffles and the first annual art fair on the parkway, so maybe we will try the sling out again.  It seems like a good invention.  
 
We also got some sad news this week.  It turns out that Lucy has cancer.  She has this growth on her back hip and it started bleeding a lot the other day so we took her back to the vet to have them look at it.  They extracted some cells from it and checked them out under the microscope and found them to be cancerous.  They sent them to outside lab as well and we are waiting to hear back from them, but the vet is concerned that the growth is pretty deep and will be difficult to remove without removing a bunch of muscle.  It is very upsetting and makes me cry when I think of it.   Once the lab results are back we will have more info on which to decide what to do next.  In the meantime, Lucy and I have started going for 6 am walks again, just me and her.  The thing on her hip is bugging her a bit - it seems to itch or something and we have to keep her from licking it, but otherwise she is perky and doesn't appear to be in any pain.   Here she is having a perky moment up at the lake - she likes to torment the red squirrels and chipmunks up there for long stretches of time.  


Finally, the new 35W bridge opened yesterday - it opened early and the construction company got something like $25 million extra for finishing it early.  We have not driven across it yet nor have we gone to see it, but it is the big news up here these days.  

5 comments:

Betsy said...

Oh no. Sweet Lucy. Take care.
We send our love and scratches behind your scruffy ears....

Anonymous said...

such sad news about lucy! i'm so sorry...

Sarah said...

Hang in there, Sam! Having a new baby is very hard to adjust to physically and emotionally. Then you add this terrible news about Lucy, and that makes you even more emotional. You'll get through it. Let people help you, and you must nap when Anders does!

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carrie and Rob said...

I'm sad to hear about Lucy. I feel like she's been a part of my (all of our) lives for so long now. She's such a dignified dog.

I'm glad Anders is getting lots of grandparents time. Good luck to you guys knocking out a bunch of home projects... make hay while the sun shines.