Monday, September 08, 2008

And his name is...

 

Last night was another one of those learning experiences.  We decided to have me stay in the room to feed him.  That was ok, but very disruptive to Will's sleep, so here he is working at home today.  So I think on future weeknights, I need to make sure I venture out into the living room or somewhere for those late night feedings.  We both felt pretty tired when we got up at 6 something today.  

We had a home visit from a nurse this morning and she was super happy with the baby's health.  She gave him an A+ score, even though he is a tiny bit jaundiced.  She was especially pleased that he is already back to his birth weight as she said they really don't look for that until 2 weeks old.  I am also in good shape, but she didn't give me a grade.  Instead she tried really hard to make me continue to take ibuprofen even though I told her I don't feel like I'm in enough pain to do so.  Some people just don't get it when others don't want unnecessary medications.  Oh well.  


We've received many lovely flowers from family and friends - I think we have personally thanked everyone, but if not, again thank you all.  They are really pretty and gave Will some photo opportunities with the baby.  Also, my friend Beth who has her own 3 month old was kind enough to bring us some manicotti which we will undoubtedly appreciate tonight.  That was so sweet.   Thanks to everyone for all the support through this major change.
 

We've already had a big morning - a couple of meals, a visit from the nurse, and some Vitamin D treatment.  It was really nice of Dad to stay home and take some pics of the day in between work calls and emails.  Also, it will give me a chance to run out to the co-op quickly later.  



And here he is, celebrating his new name.  It took us a long time to figure this out and I mean literally figure it out.  We really wanted his name to have some family significance to it and that meant looking back over family records of names of our ancestors.  We could have gone super super ethnic with Oluf or Johann or we could have gone with more recently and frequently used names like Robert or John.  The fact that we were considering at least 4 different family trees made it even more tricky.  Then you had the fact that we both had our favorite names which the other didn't like as much.  By this morning we had narrowed our list to: Anders Robert D. (rest of name omitted for privacy purposes), Anders Wilson D., Robert Anders/Anderson D., and Wilson Anders D.   

And we've now called the birth certificate office at the hospital and his name officially is....




drumroll....




horns....



 
Anders Wilson D.  

Anders for my paternal grandma's maiden name - she was Pearl Mildred Anderson.  Wilson for two reasons - Will's mom's paternal grandpa's middle name - he was Frederick Wilson Payne.  Also, at least in looking back through the Scandinavian family trees, all of the middle names in the 1800s were the father's first name + son or daughter depending on the gender of the child.  So we have a "modern" version of that naming convention going on.  Finally, though D. seems like an obvious last name, in this day and age it doesn't have to be the baby's last name, but this is the first baby born in this generation of children to be able to carry on the D. family name and we thought it appropriate to keep it that way.   

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea....a name at last. I like it and I always like the family name thing. So...let me be one of the first to say I love you Anders. I hope you have a long, healthy, and happy life. Can't wait to meet you in person!

Anonymous said...

Hooray! Excellent name! Can't wait to hold little AW soon!

Anonymous said...

p.s. also want to say that photos number 2 and 3 show an absolutely beautiful baby.....wish there could be a rating higher than A+....Anders would certainly earn it.

zinncaulfield said...

I absolutely love it! I was wondering about Anders b/c Mom mentioned the whole Anderson name along with Pederson and subsequent shortened names. Love it and love him. Can't wait to meet him. And Cam can't wait to hold him. Love you all and glad to hear things are going so well! Keep up the great work!

Goldenzinns said...

What a great name choice! I was truly touched emotionally and know that my Mom would have been so happy and proud to have influenced her great grandson's name. Thank you.

Betsy said...

Yay!!! I snuck up to check the blog while my students were in science lab. and I admit I did just scroll on down.... and then Pete called at almost the same time to make sure I had seen the post.
I love it!!!
Also- now I just have to sneak "Anders" in on the 2nd-hand book I already have for him (already signed "to Wilson").
Hi Anders! You're adorable! Can't wait to hear Henry's reaction.

Sarah said...

I'm always the last to know! :) Good job. I kept thinking maybe Anders would be it, mostly because of all the ideas I heard you were tossing around, I loved this one most. Awesome! I can't wait to tell Zach and MIke. Now I need to go back to read the rest of the post, because like Betsy, I just scrolled to the bottom.

Sarah said...

Just went back and read the whole post and looked at the pictures. I love the second picture. What a cutie. I cannot wait to meet him. He's got more hair already than his cousin Drew!

Mama Tchou-Tchou said...

Your boy is beautiful; his name is great; and I've never met Sandy, so I can't tell about family resemblance on that side, but hey! he really seems to resemble his daddy / the D side! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Nice Kid!