Sunday, August 24, 2008

Progress

Ok, not progress on the baby front, well not as far as having the baby goes, but my next doctor appointment is Tuesday this week.   We did get some work done on the bedroom - I mopped the floor, and moved the crib to the general area where it is going to go and started to figure out where other stuff is going to go up there.  The room is far from ready, but at least we are getting there.  There is still lots of work to do - like get the fish tank up there and when my mom and dad arrive, get the changing table up there (they have it as I bought it in Colorado this June).  


We also dropped off the rocking chair that was the baby's Grandma Jean's grandma's rocking chair, so either Will's Great Grandma Etta or Alice (he thinks Etta).  Anyway, that sounded kind of complicated - we dropped the chair off to be reupholstered at the place that did our couch and chair earlier this year.  The guy there does a really good job and his prices seem reasonable.  We spent quite a while trying to find fabric of a similar color and design as what was on the chair when Jean dropped it off earlier this month.  We didn't find a match for the pattern, but we did find a pretty good color match - which is kind of gold.  He thinks he will have it done in a couple of weeks.  I will post a picture when it is done, as we didn't take any before dropping off.

Here is where the big progress is taking place: the bathroom.  Yeah!  We've been talking for years about replacing the cheap, ugly black vinyl in there and now it is happening.  We had to take part of the floor out last summer when we got the radiators sandblasted and painted, so we had more motivation to finally do the floor.  Will has torn out the rest of the floor and we've purchased the new subfloor and all the tile.  

We also had to do it before the weather gets cold (b/c of the radiator) and before people come visit after the baby is born because, well of where our toilet currently is.  No!  We aren't using it right now!  Anyway, this is very exciting and I will continue to post pictures as we make some progress or depending on how well I manage my time, I might just post a final product picture. 

I also got the bird feeders back out and the chickadees have already found them - they are always the first find the feeders.  I'm also trying thistle seed again, I haven't had much luck with it in the past, even though we get goldfinches, but the guy said it gets old and yucky quickly.  I know the thistle seed I had was several years old, so maybe that was the issue.  I also got the hummingbird feeder out again, as they should be migrating through soon and sometimes they come to our yard.  For some reason I've been kind of lax in my bird feeding this summer, I'm not sure why, but it is really important to me that the baby has birds around.   Here is one of 5 that I put up.  


We also spent an hour or so helping to move my Grandpa's stuff back into his house.  My Aunt Mary and Uncle Paul and cousin Mike got it all packed up and we met them at my Grandpa's to unload it.  While Will and I waited for them in the backyard, I reminisced about that backyard - it is probably 3 times the size of our entire lot and I remember playing with my cousins back there.  It has wonderful huge old trees and so much space.  If we didn't work way over on the opposite side of town and the house wasn't so, well character-less, I would want to buy the house.  There are only two things I really like about the house - the pink tile bathroom and the backyard.   You could have a huge garden in the backyard and still have plenty of room to play and have a deck and hammock.  Anyway, my Grandpa isn't doing so well, I guess he is going downhill kind of fast, but at the same time he is 95 and has lived a good life.  I really appreciate Will helping out (since I couldn't carry much) today. 
 
So, lately I've been thinking a lot about things I won't miss about being pregnant.  Here is my list to date (complete with bullet points - I'm a real bullet point person): 
  • heartburn, as we sat down for dinner tonight I had really bad heartburn - it isn't easy to eat when you have heart burn.
  • sore ribs - my ribs have really taken a beating
  • multiple trips to the bathroom at night (I know I will be up for other reasons)
  • uncomfortable sleeping positions - I cannot wait to sleep on my back again
  • weird, random aches and pains - my IT band is bothering me again,  as it did a few months ago, I assume because of my hips moving apart further.  I personally don't feel that I should have IT band issues when I'm not even running.
  • sore feet
  • swollen and really sore hands - especially when I wake up in the morning, plus I'd like to wear my rings again
  • just not being able to do stuff in general because my belly is in the way - I plan on rowing scull when we go up to the lake in October. 
  • not running - as soon as I get the go ahead, I will be running again.
I will miss feeling the baby move.  At times it has been rather uncomfortable, but in general it is pretty cool.  Plus it is fun to freak Will out with it once in a while.  Last night there was some crazy dancing going on complete with limbs really pushing out hard.   It is also fun to wake up in the morning with baby kicking Will through my belly.  At the same time, despite my science background, if I think about it too much, I find it both amazing and rather creepy to think about a baby growing inside of me.   

Here is a hilarious picture of me and Lucy after our walk, there were some chickadees up in the tree (they are my favorite bird ).  We are still doing 2 miles a day.  She seems to love it and might actually be kind of sad when I start running again.  I will have to mix it up with some walking for her sake.  So this is a two-weeks-until-due-date belly.  It was a gorgeous morning - upper 50s and sunny.  The air smelled crisp like fall.  This is my favorite part of the year.  It will be a good time of year to be on maternity leave! 


5 comments:

W.F. Decker said...

Wow! You guys never sit still, do you? Good job. Everything is looking good. Won't be long now. Best to you both from one of the excited future grandfathers.

Sarah said...

You look great, Sam! Great job staying active. That will pay off in the end and after Clocker is born. It's so awesome to see your pregnant belly. I know it's hard to be this pregnant, and probably especially at this time of year, but ENJOY the last couple of weeks of it! While it's obviously wonderful to have the baby be born, there is something kind of sad about having that baby out of you. I definitely missed feeling my baby boys move around inside me, even though sometimes it was uncomfortable. Plus, life is so much easier while they're inside! :-)

Anonymous said...

I hope the alley thieves don't steal the toilet or worse yet use it!
You still look good. Changing table is almost ready for use.

fredecker said...

Ah, you are the second person to comment on concern over the toilet - it is between our house and Steve and Mollee's so the alley scavengers cannot really see it. It should be safe...

zinncaulfield said...

Great to talk with you tonight! Be sure to take in one last movie before Clocker arrives!