Thursday, July 06, 2006

OK, so as you can tell from the previous post we were up at the lake over 4th of July weekend. Actually the main purpose of our trip was to attend the Sawbill Canoe Outfitters 50th anniversary reunion. You can check it out at
http://sawbill.com/www/news/newsletter/index.cfm
Depending on when you see this you may have to scroll down a bit to find the section about the reunion, but there are some pictures of both Sandy and me.
We had a great time visiting with all the former and current crewmembers although many of the people we worked with couldn't make it this time. I made 40 gallons of beer for the party, I chose to make a pale ale. It turned out pretty well but wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be. The PA I made for Rob and Carrie's wedding was much better.
We also spent a few days at our property. Since we bought the place I've been working on building a dry stone retaining wall along the "driveway." When it's done it will be about 45' long and 3'-4.5' tall. After this weekend I've got about 20' started but need to build it up higher. Here's what it looks like right now, foreshortening makes it look less impressive but I can't get it all in the shot unless I stand at the end like this.

I spent most of the time we were there this weekend working on the wall. Sandy worked on the deck.

The framing for the deck was built by the previous owners, apparently it was supposed to be part of the house but (like many other things) they never finished it. We're turning it into a deck by covering it with wood that we can scavenge from inside the cabin, it's mostly tounge and groove knotty pine and 1" aspen planks both of which were used on the interior walls. The deck ends up being a bit of a mosaic because of the odd lengths and widths but it gives a more or less level place to put the tent and it has a nice view. If you look at the left foreground of the picture you can see what I mean by mosaic, I refer to it as the interesting part of the deck.

1 comment:

Carrie and Rob said...

Do you know what you're doing with that retaining wall? Did you put any drainage in behind it or anchor it at all?

-r