Sunday, August 02, 2009

Ok, so I have a problem.

For the last several years we have been going to a local flea market on Sunday mornings.  There is a variety of vendors there - antiques, food, records, bikes, plants, dollar store crap, etc.  The picture below is today's flea market haul.  


From left to right for those who are interested: a Dietz lantern (Will's newest interest), a North  America Amphibians field guide, a Tonka traxcavator (look it up), a VW bug (covered with lady bugs, obviously I picked that one out) a mini Tonka dump truck, a big Tonka dump truck, and a Great Northern Railroad fire extinguisher.   Oh and um, my problem...a 1963 Schwinn Hollywood bike.  I fell for this bike the moment I saw it and it was still there when we were done.  It is a one speed with a coaster brake and a pink and white paint job.   The seat is pink and white too.  It is really great.  I haven't had a bike with a coaster brake in I don't know how long and it took a little getting used to as I rode to a plant sale in our neighborhood this afternoon.  So my problem?  I really have a weakness for bikes - I now have this bike, a 1972 Schwinn Breeze, Will's old mountain bike, and my road bike, oh, plus half a tandem.  So 4.5 bikes.  Plus I'm pretty sure I can take full credit for the 2 bikes that Anders has.  Well, admitting it is a start, right? 


The garden picture for Carrie's challenge.  I just refilled the bird feeders yesterday and the Chickadees found the feeders really fast.  Unfortunately, the sparrows did too and they were the reason I got turned off filling the feeders in the first place.  I need to go buy some safflower - sparrows supposedly don't like safflower.  

The following pictures are from our weekend (last weekend) in Wisconsin at Bill and Kathie's place near Hayward.  


There was a fair amount of pinball playing.  Henry is fascinated by the monsters on Monster Bash.  He likes to have somebody downstairs with him when he plays, but especially for when Dracula shows up.  He also wanted to know which monster was my favorite, and wasn't very satisfied with my answer of Wolfman, but did like my answer that I liked Bride of Frankenstein (does she have a name?) because she has cool hair.  It seems that Anders might be interested as well.  


Anders had to deal with a life vest again.  The last time he wore one was in May and he really hated it.  It makes him hold his head up funny and if he tries to crawl, he kind of gets stuck.  It is pretty funny to watch. 


Anders and Clara went for a ride in the boat.  They both seemed to enjoy it.  Anders liked looking over the side of the boat at the wake the boat made.  In fact, he got quite pestered whenever Bill slowed down the boat.  

Today we went for another 5 mile run.  I went yesterday by myself and finished in 44:16, which was a pleasant surprise.  Today, the wind was in my face for the first half of the run and it was quite a chore to get to the turn around spot.  Anders, however, loved the wind.  He was screaming and squealing with joy at the top of his lungs.  It was funny and not something I have heard him do on a run before.  Despite being a pretty rough run, we got done in 48 minutes and some odd seconds.  

3 comments:

Goldenzinns said...

I have bad memories of Uncle Bob giving me a ride on the handlebars of his bike when I was quite young. He hit something in the street and I went flying and smashed into the asphalt. His excuse was he couldn't stop because the pedals were in the 6:00and 12:00 position so the coaster brake couldn't be applied. I remember hitting my head very hard. I always wondered if that's why I started wearing glasses at an early age.

Sandy said...

Hmm....I think maybe Uncle Bob was making up an excuse for not paying attention to where he was riding. Sorry to bring up a bad memory! I bet he wasn't riding a Hollywood though, that probably wouldn't have been cool enough for him.

Sarah said...

Another bike?! You do have a problem, I think. That's ok, though. It looks like a neat one. Good job on your runs- you're doing awesome!!!